Thursday, February 16, 2012

Our Wedding - Ceremony

I remember visiting the church we rented for the wedding shortly after our contract was confirmed, looking down that center aisle, and wondering how in the world I was going to walk down it in front of nearly 400 people. Situations that have put me at the center of attention nearly always make me feel awkward and out of place, but I knew there was no getting around this one. Fortunately, my fears were completely unrealized, and when that big moment came, all I wanted to do was be up there with my man.

Our wedding ceremony went nearly without a flaw. And you know what? Those tiny little imperfections honestly did not matter at the moment. So many dreams that I had nurtured for years were realized in that short hour, and the end result was so happy and perfect. :-) I wanted those precious moments to stretch on forever, but though it is all over now, I have dozens of memories to reflect on, and hundreds of pictures to browse through, and relive what turned out to be such a perfect day.


Music has always been a huge part of my life, and through an opportunity to play in the MYS orchestra for three years as a young teenager, being part of a church ensemble, piano lessons, and having students of my own, there grew a fierce desire for music to be a central part of my wedding. Outside of actually being married in the end, it was quite honestly the most important thing to me, and God allowed those desires to be so beautifully met through the generosity and talent of many dear, long-time friends.

Since hearing this song a few years back, I knew that if the Lord worked out the details, this would be my wedding processional.  Having two friends who I used to play in ensemble with available for violin and viola, a brother and sister team with trumpet and cello, my sister playing violin II, a long-time family friend (and former babysitter for me) play flute, and a dear more recent friend from SD play piano, I had myself a little mini orchestra. They did a *beautiful* job, and I couldn't have been happier. The same arranger of the former piece also wrote my recessional. A little sample of that is here.



Mixed with all of this was a favorite choral piece of mine sung by 8 friends while the family was being seated, this two-violin, piano duet of 'O Perfect Love' during the candle lighting, a harp arrangement of 'Christ We Do All Adore Thee' played during our marriage license signing by one of my bridesmaids, and lots of piano prelude and duo violin prelude and postlude music. I also had an hour of live background music at our reception with harp and duo violin. My only regret is that I didn't get to hear more of it played! 


Our ceremony itself was fairly traditional, with the exception that we included our marriage license signing as part of it. I had seen this in a few Canadian ceremonies, and we both liked the meaning and significance of it. A slightly unexpected twist involved my Dad giving Joel a tennis ball right before giving me away, and informing him, "The ball is in your court now!"


 Overall, that short hour was all I dreamed of, and the presence of so many dear friends and family made it that much more special. Now, to only be able to relive that day whenever my heart desires.... :-)





Our two moms. :-)





All pictures taken and copyrighted by Christian Gawin and Seth Haley

3 comments:

Charis said...

thank you for sharing your pictures! I love seeing weddings :) Looks like an amazing and delightful time!

Mom said...

Wonderful memories!!

Heather C said...

I love your pictures!! God is so good! It is so nice to see others walking in His will!! Congrats to you both! May God bless you!!